Dirt Roads to City Streets

A blog in search of an identity and a focus.

Name:
Location: Canada

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

What I'm reading - Dec. 8

  • Ran across a website dedicated to the architect Christopher Wren and was pleasantly surprised to see the epitaph composed by his son, containing the phrase si monumentum requiris, circumspice. This rang all kinds of bells for me - I once won an elementary spelling bee using this phrase. Of course, as I was about 10 at the time and hadn't studied Latin, I didn't realize either its true meaning or that it was in a different language (looking back, I don't think the teacher realized either!). Instead, I spelled it all as 1 word (pronounced "simon...") and gave the definition as a statue. Strange how these things stick in your mind and come popping up at the weirdest times! By the way, the phrase means "if you seek his monument, look around you" - especially fitting for an architect.
  • Here's a fun read - a website dedicated to crop and ice circles - I found it because it makes reference to a crop circle found south of Etzikom, my home town.
  • If you're looking for a good read, try the works of Sheri S. Tepper. I googled Tepper to see if she had any new SF novels out and discovered that she writes mysteries under a pseudonym. I enjoy her down-to-earth SF writing (she often explores the role of outcast, the misunderstood misfit, and tons of good feminist stuff, while avoiding preachiness for the most part), so can't wait to pick up a mystery and see if it translates into whodunnit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home