Dirt Roads to City Streets

A blog in search of an identity and a focus.

Name:
Location: Canada

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Reality TV

Okay, I wasn't terribly interested in Survivor. At first. Then, as time went by and more and more people started talking about this evil genius, Richard Hatch, I decided to tune in (Lord knows, I hate having nothing to add to a conversation!). I was hooked, but played it cool. It's just one show - I can quit whenever I want.

And I did, for a long time. The 2nd Survivor was boring in comparison, so I tuned out. Sure, I heard rumblings about other reality shows (my grandmother is hooked on Fear Factor, of all things), but I resisted the urge.

Then a few co-workers invited me to part of an office pool. Well, I could hardly risk $5 on a show and not watch it, right? And I discovered that if I watched, I had opinions, usually voiced in a highly snarky tone, which others seemed to enjoy. Okay, one is fine, I can handle just one.

But then! I started working with a team, where everyone was hooked. Suddently, it wasn't just Survivor All-Stars (lost that pool - bet on Richard again), it was Amazing Race (won that one! Yay, Chip-n-Dip!). Okay, okay. I can control myself. Then Apprentice - everyone was talking about it, and I just had to be part of that conversation. Soon, I was starting to sneak in a little Rebel Billionaire, more Survivor, more Amazing Race (my money is on Don & MJ), a little Outback Jack, some Joe Schmo, enough Bachelor and Swan to speak of them disparingly.

Well, soon, my entire viewing schedule was cluttered with these shows. I admit it - I have no willpower where reality TV is concerned. I don't even enjoy most of the shows. For the sake of all involved, I've cut back to just the shows where I've got money at stake (Amazing Race, Survivor), and the occasional peek at The Donald's comb-over.

But now I'm hooked on Television Without Pity, where I can get a hit of these shows, without taking the time to watch them. Thank God for the internet, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home